I've been meaning for ages now to track just how long it takes me to complete a given project. Not in great detail, just to ballpark it.
As promised, a little experiment involving yet another self-striping sock.
Overall details: Online sock yarn, 32-inch, 2.5mm Addi Turbo. Magic Loop over 72 stitches. Toe up with gussets and flap. Stockinette all over, with k1p1 rib top.
To be completely honest, I suspect I cranked up the speed of my knitting when I knew I was tracking progress my time. I'm pretty quick anyway, not Wannietta quick, but probably on the fast side of average.
So, how long does it take me to knit a sock?
- Cast on and toe increases. Toddler dance class, 30 minutes
- Foot to end of first pattern repeat. Board meeting, 60 minutes
- Remainder of foot, to end of gusset increases. Evening TV wind down with kids, 60 minutes. (Don't tell Dr. Phil.)
- Bottom flap and heel flap. Kids in bed, 30 minutes.
- Up the leg in stockinette. On and off through lousy TV, 90 minutes.
- Ribbed cuff, cast off and ends worked in. Waiting to leave for the gym, 60 minutes.
Total time spent: 5.5 hours for a large adult sized sock.
Just as I cast off the sock, I considered staying home from the gym for the mailman, just in case he arrived with my Blue Moon swag. I opted to go, and when I returned, my April club kit was waiting for me.
No spoilers yet, except to say the ladies have truly outdone themselves. After swatching with it for 2 days, I've finally settled on a slightly modified version of the club pattern. Think lace. Think silk.
Think of me humping the mailman's leg the next time I see him.
With that, I leave you to sift through the wreckage of my garage, which has been transformed into an enormous sale. We live in a rabid yard sale town, so it should be pretty busy. Hub has already, UNPROMPTED, told me I could use the money for yarn, since I did much of the sorting and pricing. Midweek, I'll be here, and it's truly lovely.
If you have any other suggestions for yarny goodness to be found in Freeport (ME), Portland (ME), North Conway (NH) or anywhere near there, be a duck and leave me a comment, would you?